Due to the success and impact of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport in April 2013.The funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision. It should also be used to encourage and inspire children to enjoy and participate in a healthy and active lifestyle. By generating and sustaining a lasting legacy from the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games we can also create opportunities and give direction for the future sporting stars.
At Waberthwaite CE School we have developed an action plan in order to continue to improve PE provision and raise achievement for all pupils in sport.
Our priorities mean that the funding for 2017-18 will:
Develop staff expertise in teaching all areas of PE through guidance from experienced Sport Coaches.
Develop facilities at Waberthwaite CE School to provide high quality experiences for all children.
- Continue to provide quality coaches for teaching some PE lessons across the school.
- Increase participation in sport through the provision of additional after school and lunchtime active clubs.
- Increase participation in district and county-wide competitions and tournaments through membership of the local sports partnership.
- Purchase additional PE resources to enable a wider and ‘new’ range of sports to be played.
- Develop school grounds to provide running facilities.
Here at Waberthwaite CE School we have always been committed to providing children with excellent sporting provision. With the added funding, we aim to build on this further, ensuring that each child experiences the benefits.